**How can you care?** 'Because I choose to.' **You make it sound so simple.** 'That's because it is simple. Hard sometimes, but simple.'
Friday, February 27, 2004
The Free Times is a wacky little indy news 'zine that I pick up most every week. Sometimes they take themselves too seriously, but you can always find honest reviews of shows, movies, books, and music. They also have great horoscopes. Here's mine for the week:
"Lent is the period between Ash Wdnesady and Easter when devout Christians commemorate the 40 days that Christ allegedly spent resisting the devil's temptations in the wilderness [typist's note: that's not how I heard it, but whatever works for you]. Growing up Episcopalian, I was tought to imitate Jesus every year at this time by giving up something I had a strong attachment to [we Lutheran's did this, too]. My usual choice was candy. It so happens, Virgo, that even if you're not Christian, the coming weeks will be an excellent time for you to renounce three experiences that you have become a bit addicted to. Those experience are berating yourself, denying yourself pleasure, and giving till it hurts. I urge you to give them all up between now and April 10."
That sounds like a damn good idea.
Thursday, February 26, 2004
And now Wachovia is going to refinance. And give me a HELOC behind it, which is how it ended up working. $70,000 or so mortgage at 7.45% over 27ish years = -$100 in payments.
$13,000 HELOC = closing a couple more credit accounts.
This may work after all.
Wednesday, February 25, 2004
I got a big box from Amazon today. :-) So I went out and got something for said big box.
Yes, spending money sometimes helps.
I almost went out to eat, too. I was thinking about it as I left the mall. As I was thinking about it, a bunch of ice pellets hit me in the face.
Pizza should be here soon. ;-)
Tuesday, February 24, 2004
Whatever happened to that thing about the seperation of church and state? Ya know, the clause in the Constitution?
Yeah, I know.
Monday, February 23, 2004
Friday, February 20, 2004
When was the last time you...
1. ...went to the doctor? Saw a doctor last month every day while I was in the hospital. Haven't needed once since. So... 3 1/2 weeks.
2. ...went to the dentist? August of last year. I'll see him again next month.
3. ...filled your gas tank? Tuesday morning.
4. ...got enough sleep? Ye gods... long time gone.
5. ...backed up your computer? September 25th. I was looking at that CD this morning and thinking, Damn, I should back this thing up this weekend.
Federal refund paid off the hospital from last year, one doctor from this year, and the phone bill already. I know I need about $40 for this weekend (pre-purchasing Hardcore Hell tickets), and tonight I head to Wal-Mart to do a major grocery shopping (put more meat into the freezer). If I have anything else, I'll head to Goodwill and look for some work pants/skirts.
Thursday, February 19, 2004
Wednesday, February 18, 2004
Tuesday, February 17, 2004
"There's got to be someone on the phones," the network guys say. My boss is out sick, Jill's training someone all day, Sandra leaves at 3:30pm normally, and gods forbid the network people be asked to answer the phones.
Hopefully the roads won't be bad after the sun goes down.
Monday, February 16, 2004
I swear, between Sandra and Stephanie ignoriong the phones and emails, and the network guys being completely out of touch with the users, my jaw is sore from clenching it while I've been yelled at by pissed of lawyers who are losing billable time because I can't get any answers out of anyone.
Besides, some weekends (like the past grey rainy ugly one), sometimes you just want to watch your characters squish everything in their path.
Friday, February 13, 2004
any typos for the rest of the evening can be attributed to the fact that the keyboard won't stay still
When I got it today, I remembered that a friend of mine in college said you really had to be in an, ah, altered state of mind to appreciate some of the tracks.
pours second shot of Jim Bean whiskey
That should do the trick...
GroupWise is the email system we use, and it's one quirk with Archiving is that if it archives email in a shared folder, it only goes into the archive of the person who created the folder. Which means that other people who would normally have access to that shared folder cannot see it's archive. Pain in the butt sometimes.
A paralegal called, saying she needed something that was archived in one of our big important lawyer's (snicker) archived folder. "You can go into her account and do that, because her door is closed." She made it sound like the lawyer-lady wasn't here. "Is it locked?" I ask. "No, she's just got the door closed so she won't be bothered by the hallway noise."
"No, I'm sorry, all I can tell you is to ask her to unarchive it for you."
She didn't like that answer. Too bad. By the time I found one of the network guys and they got around to unarchiving it, the lawyer-lady could've done it herself without the hassle. Grow some balls and don't be scared, or you'll never be more than a paralegal.
1. Are you superstitious? Somewhat.
2. What extremes have you heard of someone going to in the name of superstition? Silly, stupid extremes. Like my co-worker is about
-><- that close to canceling a test she's taking today because she just remembered it's Friday the 13th.
3. Believer or not, what's your favorite superstition? Favorite? Don't have a favorite.
4. Do you believe in luck? If yes, do you have a lucky number/article of clothing/ritual? Yes. And no, not a ritual/number/stupid shit like that.
5. Do you believe in astrology? Why or why not? Yes and no. There are things that can't be explained, and there are times when I do things that scare the shit out of myself. Sometimes those horoscopes are dead on, but I don't call psychics every night.
Thursday, February 12, 2004
We started getting calls and even a couple of emails in about some "Websense" thing. I go in and look at someone's computer, and when they tried to get to a travel agency so they could book a flight for their lawyer - a website they have used in the past - it came up "Websense Enterprises has restricted access to this site."
"What's Websense?" they're all asking. Hell if I know.
Finally, one of the network guys sends out an email to one of the users, copying us, saying that "it was due to some testing". Thanks a whole fucking lot for letting us know about this testing during the middle of the day, guys. We fucking appreciate it.
Wednesday, February 11, 2004
It must have life on it
The Martian Air Force has knocked down more than 50% of the explorers we've sent there.
I was a little worried when Spirit stopped signalling. It then occurred to me that if the Martian Air Force doesn't get you, the Martian Marine Corps will.. Ooo-rah! :)
Like the fact that the mumukil are FUCKING RUNNING by the time the Rohirrim get to them. Ho-lee shit. Something that big running is just not supposed to happen!
Like I finally realized that when the Rohirrim are gathering to charge on the armies in front of Minas Tirith, they're not just yelling. They're yelling "DEATH!" I don't know about you, but having 6000 horsemen - OK, 5998 horsemen, 1 horsewoman, and 1 horseHobbit - coming pounding towards me hollaring "DEATH!" every few feet would make me tell my commander officer to go fuck himself, I'm heading home.
But yes, all three of these movies are wrong in so many ways, from small ways to big ways to, "What the fuck, didn't they read the book?" ways.
And the soundtrack for the third film is interesting... it starts off when Pippin gets the palantir from the sleeping Gandalf (and having him sleep with his eyes open was disturbing). I wonder if the soundtrack people didn't know what Jackson was going to start the film with, so they chose something several minutes in just to be safe.
Love. You Truly Desire Love. You long for someone
to hold you and take the pain away. You haven't
been in much relationships or you need to work
on how to handle them. You always seem lost in
a daydream about the person you care about
What Do You Truly Desire? *PICS*
brought to you by Quizilla
I truly desire a love that doesn't hurt so much. I know pain is a small part of everything, but it shouldn't wrack you with guilt-pain.
Tuesday, February 10, 2004
Secretary calls, said her Word was doing weird things. It was actually MacPac, a software we use. So I'm re-installing it, and she said her "computer had been doing crazy things" since I'd installed a connection to the color printer on her floor. "What kind of things?" I ask. "Oh, I don't remember, they were just aggrevating."
From Monday Madness:
1. On Sunday afternoon, I like to just... watch football. After the football seasons over, I'll be on the computer more.
2. I'm behind someone at a traffic light, the light turns green and they just sit there, I... Honk the horn and ignore the finger.
3. My immediate reaction to someone making a nasty remark to me is... to ignore them.
4. If I had to live in a state/country where it was cold most of the year, I would... move.
5. When the weather outside is hot and humid, I prefer to... stay inside with a working air conditioner. Go to the beach if I have the time/money/energy.
6. My favorite 'comfy' clothes to wear around the house is... sweat pants.
7. If given a deadline at work/school to finish a project, I usually... get it done.
8. If someone gave me a pet for my birthday, I would... wonder why they thought I needed more cats.
9. As far as watching the clock on weekends, I... don't.
10. I usually wash my car about every... third blue moon.
Monday, February 09, 2004
- Identity:: Who I am, which is more than you want me to be
- Reveal:: Nothing. As little as possible. Everything without meaning to.
- Live:: Now
- Attitude:: is a state of mind
- Night:: Sleep
- Nevada:: Vacation
- Weekend:: Time alone
- Write:: I wish... my people won't play
- Friend:: Janice, Dawn
- Seventeen:: not so good
Friday, February 06, 2004
Advanced Big 30 Personality Test Results
2. What one thing would you like to try that your mother would never approve of? Ride a motorcycle
3. On a scale of 1-10, what's your risk factor? (1=never take risks, 10=it's a lifestyle) 4ish
OK, so I skipped a couple. Sue me.
Thursday, February 05, 2004
INFJ - "Author". Strong drive and enjoyment to help others. Complex personality. 1.5% of total population.
Introverted (I) 77.42% Extroverted (E) 22.58%
Intuitive (N) 52.5% Sensing (S) 47.5%
Feeling (F) 54.29% Thinking (T) 45.71%
Judging (J) 51.52% Perceiving (P) 48.48%
Wednesday, February 04, 2004
The network guys are working on a project to make maps of the floors, which will include where the network printers are. It'll help a lot, believe me, since their is neither rhyme nor reason nor labeling on these printers to identify them. So I send out emails to the people in care of the network printers asking them to tell me what model they are.
One secretary emails me back, and this is a direct quote: only if I get to keep it.
If I had said no, she wouldn't have answered?!?
Tuesday, February 03, 2004
Monday, February 02, 2004
Wanna bet they don't find much?
- ► 2007 (69)
- ► 2006 (156)
- ► 2005 (204)
- I'm at work. Might as well get paid. The Free ...
- There's snow on the ground.
- Stayed at home. Too much ice. And now Wachovia...
- When I would wake up in the night (I don't sleep w...
- Don't worry, the mood pendulum has swung to the ot...
- Wachovia said no to refinancing. I go to creit ...
- Bush wants a constitutional ban on same-sex marria...
- Which Genocidal Maniac Are You?Brought to you by R...
- I've added a link to Amazon. I have a wish list t...
- I say... and you think...? Angel:: Birth:: b...
- Friday Five again When was the last time you......
- State refund bought a nice new TV Wednesday. Fe...
- Monday, March 1st, 8:30am EST, wing a thought my w...
- The instructions are posted RIGHT NEXT TO THE SCAN...
- "Talent and creativity are yours to use and keep."...
- Nope, I'm not leaving early. I'm not allowed. ...
- There's this white flaky stuff coming down outside...
- If Bush is looking for WMD*, he'll find them here ...
- Am I the only person in my office who knows that i...
- I say ... and you think ... ? Dragon:: Power ...
- Spent the weekend playing "WarCraft III: The Froze...
- OK...g onna carefullt walk to bned.... see ya'll l...
- Wow, it's after 9pm and I'm still up... go me! :-p...
- Fuck, didn't post the previous one 30 minutes ago....
- Alright, now the damn monitor won't stay still...
- (starts Akira over)
- Sometimes, you just need to unwind... after a week...
- Why is my big cat Goldeneye looking at me funnt?
- Oh yeah, speaking of Akira... I remember thinkin...
- A week or so ago, someone over on the DVDVR board ...
- Adventures at work... GroupWise is the email sy...
- OK, what moron told this hole-in-the-wall Italian ...
- From The Friday Five: 1. Are you superstitious?...
- What do Girl Scouts put in their Thin Mint cookies...
- Adventures at work... We started getting calls ...
- Found this over on Slashdot, after voting in the p...
- I've seen Return of the King three times now in t...
- Love. You Truly Desire Love. You long for someonet...
- Adventures at work... Secretary calls, said her...
- Dawn - You can come by anytime. ;-) I'll stock up ...
- ARG!!! fucking Blogger killed my links when they ...
- Found this over on Tam's log... find the link on t...
- Boss sends an email to the help desk box about a c...
- Nope, sorry... won't dumb myself down or slow myse...
- Advanced Big 30 Personality Test Results S...
- What Famous Leader Are You?
- What Classic Movie Are You?
- 1. What's the most daring thing you've ever done? ...
- Take the 100 Acre Personality Quiz!
- <!--77.42 52.5 54.29 51.52--> INFJ - "Author"....
- Geez, legal secretaries are a suspicious bunch... ...
- I've updated some of the junk on the side, in case...
- I voted for Howard Dean. I'll be sleeping in my...
- Bush will pick who's going to be investigating the...
- FINALLY, I have power. Yes, the Panthers lost. ...
- Supposedly, SCE&G has put me in as an emergency or...
- Still no power.
- ▼ February (57)