**How can you care?** 'Because I choose to.' **You make it sound so simple.** 'That's because it is simple. Hard sometimes, but simple.'

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Trying for the THIRD time to get this posted

Sorry for the delay... with the typhoon-like weather, I've been too busy with other stuff to put this DragonCon report up. :-p

It's been a long time since I've woken up and been out the door before dawn. Seeing Orion hanging over my head made me smile... he's always keeping an eye on me. I drove and Janice slept until Augusta, when we got breakfast. Those Banana/Macadamia nut pancakes at IHOP are AWESOME!! Couple more hours on the road, then downtown Atlanta.

I could easily learn to hate downtown Atlanta.

Finally found someplace to park where we could still see the Hyatte/Mariott where the convention was taking place. Figured out the automatic ticket-giving system wasn't taking money, so I used my debit card. Gave the bum who helped us out with the machine a $5 for his trouble and his rap/poem.

We go to register. By the end of registration, we're convinced we need to do the whole thing next year. We head up to the vendors. First booth I find is for Renderosity, a company that does figures for a fee. They have a drawing for free software. Who can turn down free software?

I go wandering around while Janice goes in search of her current favorite author. I drool over the tons of anime, anime soundtracks, game soundtracks, swords, clothing, etc. I also spend $10 on a Bahumut or Yojimbo T-Shirt (wish I could find pics, sorry) that's 3 sizes too big, but manage to restrain myself. More wandering around. Spend $4 on a poster of Sephiroth from FF VII: Advent's Children. I need it for my Halloween costume, I tell myself.

Janice finds me. "Ray Park is here." Me: "WHERE?!?!?!" We go downstairs. Crazy line, but we meet:

Craig, the guy who played Haldir Very nice guy.
Sala, the guy who played a few orcs and Sauron Very very funny guy. He took one of Craig's promo pics and doodled on it.
The kid who played young Boba Fett My, has he grown up.
AND
Ray Park, God among men. Turns me into a blithering fangirl. Janice is much embarassed.

Wander around some more, pick up about half a dozen business cards and such. Go sit in on what's supposed to be a thing about Star Wars Episode III, but is mostly about everything but. We leave early to get some lunch. Alternately roll our eyes and shake our head at what some are (not) wearing in public. But there are some really good ones, including a dead-on Rikku from FF X-2 that causes second bout of public embarassment for poor Janice (I was a little loud in trying to greet the girl).

I go to meet Jacqueline Carey (OOOH! Imriel books soon!), but it's a panel of talking heads and I don't get to talk to her. Janice tried to get in on a Craig thing, but it was too crowded and they wouldn't let her in. We then try to go watch Tom Savini do a thing about FX in the movies, but that's also crowded with rude people who stand in front of us sitting people.

So we go back to the vendors. I spend $10 on a print by Stephanie Pui-Mun Law called Dragon Knot, and she is sweet enough to sign it. :-) I will get a frame for this and put it above my creating table in my home office, next to the Sephiroth poster that's already hung.

I don't win the software. *sniff* We go home. I quickly regret not having Advil, as my arthritis reminds me that standing and walking for 8 hours is NOT a good thing.

But it was worth it. See you there next year!

No comments: