**How can you care?** 'Because I choose to.' **You make it sound so simple.** 'That's because it is simple. Hard sometimes, but simple.'

Thursday, September 25, 2003

So they've released a bunch of data about testing and how the schools in South Carolina are doing. Basically, they suck, but we all knew that already. Inez Tennenbaum, the current Superintendent of Education, is already bailing out and concentrating on her Senate run because she knows there's exactly nothing she can do about it.

So, out of morbid curiosity, I went looking for the middle school I went to. Heyward Gibbes Middle School was where some of us Seminary kids went to "learn", where I got beat up, where I was 1 of 5 white girls in the 8th grade, where I picked up my love of rap and R&B.

Total enrollment: 470 students. 7 White, 3 Hispanic, 460 Black.

When they tell you desegregation worked, just laugh.

No comments: