1. When John F. Kennedy was shot (11/22/1963)
2. When the Great Northeast Blackout occurred. (11/9/1965)
3. When Sesame Street premiered. (11/10/1969)
4. When Black September murdered eleven Israeli Olympic athletes. (9/6/1972)
5. When Patty Hearst and members of the SLA robbed the Hibernia Bank in San Francisco. (4/15/1974)
For all of the above, I wasn't born yet.
6. When Saturday Night Live first aired. (10/11/1975)
I was 1 month and 1 day old, so I probably slept through it.
7. When the USA celebrated its Bicentennial. (7/4/1976)
I was less than a year old, living in Richmond, VA. No memories.
8. When the first recorded outbreak of Legionnaires Disease was announced. (7/22/1976)
9. When the Love Canal chemical waste dump was revealed to the public. (10/3/1976)
Just over a year old, no memories.
10. When Elvis died. (8/16/1977)
I was almost 2, living in Alexandria, VA. No memories.
11. When Rev. Jim Jones and his cult at Jonestown committed mass-suicide. (11/18/1978)
I was 3, and my little sister was a couple of weeks old. No memories.
12. When the Three Mile Island nuclear disaster occurred. (3/28/1979)
I was 3 1/2, had better things to do than watch TV.
13. When ~70 Americans were taken hostage at the US Embassy in Iran. (11/4/1979)
I don't remember them being taken hostage. I think I have a vague memory of them coming home.
14. When the U.S. Olympic hockey team beat Russia. (2/22/1980)
15. When Mt. St. Helens blew (5/18/1980)
I was almost 5, living in Falls Church, VA. I remember seeing this on the news, but it didn't affect me since it was so far away.
16. When John Lennon was killed. (12/8/1980)
17. When Ronald Reagan was shot by John Hinckley, Jr.. (3/30/1981)
I remember there was a lot of concern about this, but only because we lived right outside of Washington and Mom worked downtown. I have more memories of the plane crash/subway crash than this, tho.
18. When Lady Diana Spencer married Prince Charles. (7/29/1981)
I remember watching parts of this on TV.
19. When the first victim of the “Tylenol Terrorist” died. (9/29/1982)
20. When the TV-movie "The Day After" aired. (11/20/1983)
21. When the gas leak occurred in the Bhopal, India, Union Carbide plant. (12/3/1984)
No memory. I do remember when Indira Ghandi died, tho.
22. When the space shuttle Challenger exploded (1/28/1986)
I was 10 years old, a 5th grader in Dallas, TX. Dad came to pick us up from school looking very sad. I asked him what was wrong, and he asked, "They didn't tell you?" He told us. I remember being so shocked, because we'd always watch the launchings on TV. To this day I cannot watch the footage of the explosion.
23. When the Chernobyl nuclear power plant exploded. (4/26/1987)
I don't remember anything about this, which is odd.
24. When the Exxon Valdez oil spill occurred. (3/24/1989)
I remember being outraged.
25. When the 7.1 earthquake hit San Francisco (10/7/1989)
I'm'a pass on this one, the memories associated with this are not for sharing.
26. When the Berlin Wall fell (11/7/1989)
Wishing I could be there.
27. When the Gulf War began (1/16/1991)
Babysitting some kids.
28. When OJ Simpson was chased in his White Bronco (6/17/1994)
In college, rolling my eyes at the absurdity of it all.
29. When the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City was bombed (4/19/1995)
In college, at the little college post office. The lady behind the counter was glued to the TV, so I watched it.
30. When the Heaven's Gate cult committed mass-suicide. (3/26/1997)
At college. I remember reading that Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura) had a brother in the cult.
31. When Princess Di was killed (8/31/1997)
At home in North Charleston, SC. Mom said something about it, and my first words were, "Her poor sons."
32. When Bush was first announced President (11/7/2000)
Probably at work. No real memory.
33. When the 6.8 earthquake hit Nisqually, WA (2/28/2001)
I don’t remember this at all.
34. When terrorists destroyed the World Trade Center (9/11/2001)
At work. I had taken off the day b efore because it was my 26th birthday. First I got a call from someone saying they were having trouble getting to the Internet, and they wanted to know something about a fire at the World Trade Center. I tried to get to news websites, but the Internet had slowed to a crawl. About the time that a picture of one of planes hitting on the towers came up, the lady came into my office, grabbed me by the arm, and dragged me into a spare office where a TV was set up. About 10 - 20 minutes later the first tower came down, and I said, "The other won't stay up."
35. When Columbia disintegrated during re-entry over Texas. (2/1/2003)
At home, it was a Saturday morning. I was on Aardwolf, and someone said something about it. I called Mom to tell her.