**How can you care?** 'Because I choose to.' **You make it sound so simple.** 'That's because it is simple. Hard sometimes, but simple.'

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Does anyone know a better online translator for Italian to English than Babelfish? I ran the following song through it and got a steaming pile of shit back. :-p

"i can't be cool" by Yoko Kanno

non credi che sia il momento di capire?
decidere di non restare immobili?
senti le voci che vendono ricchezze vane,
l'inganno del potere che consumerà l'ara...

i can't be cool tra le catene
i can't be cool ad occhi chiusi
i can't be cool sotto i resti di un sonno profondo
fatto di guerre in nome di dio

tu pensi di possedere la tua vida
sotto il controllo di uomini avidi?
senti le voci che vogliono trovare pace
sono oscurate dai potenti sovrani del buio

i can't be cool senza parole
i can't be cool senza reagire
i can't be cool perché so già che l'indifferenza
chiude le porte dell'umanità

i can't be cool tra le catene
i can't be cool ad occhi chiusi
i can't be cool sotto i resti di un sonno profondo
fatto di guerre in nome di dio

i can't be cool tra le catene
i can't be cool ad occhi chiusi
i can't be cool sotto i resti di un mondo sommerso
dalle violenze dell'umanità

i can't be cool tra le catene
i can't be cool senza reagire
i can't be cool perché so già che l'indifferenza
chiude le porte dell'umanità

se vorrai un'altra realtà
avrai il dono più grande
sarà la tua libertà
senti...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I speak decent Italian. So I ran it thru a translator like babel fish, I edited and cleaned up the pile of puke, it comes out to something like this, but I warn you English is my second language so this may not make much sense:

Is the time to understand not now?
To decide not to remain immovable?
You feel the voices that sell riches gone some,
the deceit/mask of the power it will/can consume plows/weakens it.

I can't be cool between the chains.
I can't be cool to watche the sluices/washing/purging that represents killing without cause.
I can't be cool under the rests of a made profound/deep,
sleep of wars in the name of god.

You are tasked to possess your power.
Under the control of eager men?
You feel... the voices that want peace, are darkenened from the powerful monarchs of the buio(i can't translate "buio," sorry, but it's some sort of metaphor for government or soceity i think)

I can't be cool without words
I can't be cool without reacting
I can't be cool because I know already that indifference, closes the doors to humanity.

If you want another truth
you will have the greater gift
it will be your freedom
that you feel.

--

Oh and by the way where'd you find this song? It's one of my favourite songs. It stands for all that I wish to accomplish in life, but no one understands that, so none can understand me. I'm crazy for a reason.

Hope this helps,
Nicole

-If this isn't clear to you and/or you need something else translated just email me at "cyberbird09@hotmail.com"-

Anonymous said...

I only speak English, but I too was interested in a translation of this song. I have taken Latin and Spanish, however. With this knowledge, an autotranslator, and a Italian-English dictionary, I created this translation:
--

do you not believe that it is the time to understand?
to decide not to remain immobile?
you feel the voices that sell useless riches
the deceit of power that will consume plows..

i can't be cool between the chains
i can't be cool to eyes closed
i can't be cool under the rests of a deep sleep
reality of wars in the name of god

you think to possess your life
under the control of greedy men?
you feel the voices that want to find peace
are darkened from the powerful kings of the gloom

i can't be cool without words
i can't be cool without reacting
i can't be cool because i know already that indifference
closes the doors of humanity

i can't be cool between the chains
i can't be cool to eyes closed
i can't be cool under the rests of a deep sleep
reality of wars in the name of god

i can't be cool between the chains
i can't be cool to eyes closed
i can't be cool under the rests of a submerged world
from the violences of humanity

i can't be cool between the chains
i can't be cool without reacting
i can't be cool because i know already that indifference
closes the doors of humanity

if you will desire another reality
you will have the greater gift
it will be your freedom
you feel.....

--
I believe this translation to be superior to the previous one and the song actually makes sense to me now. There are of course some words that could have multiple interpretations, so without talking to Ilaria Graziano, one can never know for sure.