**How can you care?** 'Because I choose to.' **You make it sound so simple.** 'That's because it is simple. Hard sometimes, but simple.'

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I'm going to call the doctor about pain today...

13 years ago (almost exactly), I was run off the road by a logging truck and wrapped my 2 week old used car around a tree. In the process of trying to get out, I used my left shoulder as a battering ram to try to force open the driver's side door. By the time I got to the hospital, I was in a ton of pain. But my Mom was a pastor with shitty insurance (thank you, Lutheran church), and since it wouldn't pay for crap, they did a quick x-ray, saw nothing broken, and sent me home to take 1200mg of advil evey 4 hours so I could breathe.

Over the years the pain would flare up, but usually go away after a few hours. This time it's been constant since Monday. Also, if you push on the end of my collar bone on that side, the pinky and ring finger on my left hand tingle. And the left shoulder is noticably higher than the right one. And the pain is excruciating.

As Dawn rightly pointed out to me, I have already met all my maxes for health insurance, so why not get it looked at? Maybe it won't need surgery, just physical therapy. All I know is that I'm past the pain I'm willing to live with, so now I get to do something about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I grew up going to the Lutheran church and didn't even know they had female pastors! Must not have been from the Missouri synod...